Vegan banana fritters are easy to whip up and are delicious. They have crispy golden outsides and melted caramel inside! Sparkling melted dark chocolate sauce adds extra yumminess. This luscious banana recipe is ready in minutes.
This is an easy recipe for banana fritters and they will disappear in 60 seconds or less I promise! I took this exotic treat a bit further and jazzed it with caramel and chocolate rum sauce.
Many Versions of banana fritters:
- Some versions of this use plantains. I used regular bananas here because it is easily available and due to its bold flavor.
- I added turmeric and sugar to the batter for getting the glorious bright gold colors of caramelization when fritters are fried.
- Cinnamon adds an extra depth to this recipe. With dark chocolate sauce this is a divine treat.
- Firm bananas are stuffed with vegan caramel chews. The soft melted caramel is an additional layer of richness.
- I neither used any eggs (to keep this simple,vegan and you just don’t need it! These are rich and delicious even without eggs.) or any rising agents like baking soda here.
- Additionally, though these are called fritters, we are not deep frying them in this recipe.
I am crazy about this simple banana fritters. I always loved the combinations of chocolate and bananas! Then again, to me almost anything goes well with chocolate! No difficulties or confusion there.
Good Old Days:
Growing up with my grandma, she made these fritters from time to time, as after-school treats. The whole house was filled with the smell of banana frying in coconut oil. So these are glued to my childhood memories. Whenever I miss my grandma and those good old days, I make these. In fact, to tell the truth, it happens every week. Nowadays, I usually sit back and sip my black tea with banana fritters, filling up the room with aromas of this complete comfort food. This recipe is like the quickest time-space portal that takes me back to a very warm and cozy place of comfort of my childhood. Those days treats were simple and rare.
To tell the truth, frankly, I never had banana fritters combined with cinnamon, chocolate, caramel and rum! Caramel somehow goes along with cinnamon in my mind. And the chocoholic in me, came up with this idea after eating churros. These royal ingredients together, create an exotic treat for sure. As you can see, I surely am addicted to food!
Banana fritter batter I used here, browns to a golden yellow color because of the added turmeric and sugar to the batter. The sugar with cinnamon caramelizes the batter to a slightly crispy divine shell with all the goodness inside. The bananas are filled with some vegan caramel chews (Yes, let us take it to the next level.). It melts inside the crispy exterior and creates an intense flavor combination with the dark chocolate dipping sauce. Dark chocolate, the rich dark kind works well with this recipe giving the sweetness of melted caramel a contrast. Dark chocolate with rum creates a very glossy sauce that coats these vegan banana fritters perfectly.
I hope you ‘go bananas’ making these and go easy on the rum guys!
P.S. If you want to try another wonderful vegan recipe, try our very first post vegan cashew pesto pasta
Banana Fritters With Chocolate Rum Sauce (Vegan)
Vegan banana fritters are easy to whip up and are delicious. They have crispy golden outsides with banana and melted caramel inside! Sparkling melted dark chocolate sauce adds extra yumminess. This recipe for banana is ready in minutes.
How to make banana fritters:
For the fritter:
- 1 Banana. Banana should be firm. It should not be too ripe and soft. Cut in to four pieces.
- 3-4 Vegan caramel chews. Cut these length wise into then strips. Like these vegan caramel chews.
- 3-4 Tbsp Coconut oil. For frying.
For the batter:
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric. For color (optional).
- 1/2 Cup All purpose flour.
- 3 Tbsp Coconut sugar or regular granulated sugar.
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon. If you do not like this or allergic to cinnamon, you can skip this.(Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Cold water. Chilled is better.
For the chocolate sauce:
- 1 Tbsp Rum. Any kind of rum will do. This is an optional ingredient. Purely personal preference! 🙂
- 1.4 Oz Dark chocolate. You could use any type of chocolates. Though dark is preferred to go along with this recipe.
For the fritter:
Use firm bananas for this recipe. Ripe, soft bananas is not a good choice here since we stuff these babies with caramel inside. Cut one banana into two pieces in the middle. Slice each piece lengthwise without breaking the banana.
With a teaspoon (using the tip), core the middle of each slices, just enough to place sliced caramel chews in to the grooves.
Place caramel strips in to the grooves. This is a bit tricky but is very easy once you do the first one or two. Set the caramel stuffed banana slices aside.
For the batter:
Combine cinnamon, sugar and all purpose flour with turmeric. Add 1/4 cup of water to form a thick, gluey batter.
Heat coconut oil at medium heat.
Place the banana slices into the batter one by one with the caramel stuffed sides facing up. Move around the slices without breaking them so that the batter coats under the slices. And pour the batter over the banana slices making sure the batter coats evenly over the caramel pieces. Place the fritters in the hot oil. Cook until each side is golden brown.
After making sure banana slices are fully cooked, remove them, let them drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
While fritters are being cooled. Melt chocolate on a double boiler. When it is melted, remove from heat and add rum in to the melted chocolate. Stir the rum in thoroughly.
Dip each slice in to the dark chocolate and enjoy these pieces of heaven while they are warm.
- Turmeric is optional. But turmeric is a powerful antioxidant. Go overboard using them!
- These fritters are not deep fried intentionally. You certainly can deep fry these if you want to.
- Bananas must be firm. It is hard to stuff bananas if they are too ripe and soft. Any varieties of bananas or plantains can be used here if they are available.
- Caution: Do not reach for these fritters while they are hot. Bananas can reach extremely high temperatures when you fry them covered in batter. Steam from these babies can burn you in seconds. Let them cool first.
- Vegan caramel chews recipe links are added to the ingredients list. You could also purchase them from Amazon.