Easy barbecue chicken pizza explodes with flavors in your mouth. Instant no rise homemade crust with barbecue sauce, sweet peppers , smoked paprika and smoked Gouda cheese makes this pizza irresistible.
I love pizza and how it brings together people of all ages. It is versatile and easy to prepare, do please the crowd at home easily 🙂 You can make it as healthy as you want and with a recipe like the following one, you can accomplish all these pretty quickly when you are in a hurry.
The best part of this dough is that it is pretty much a “no wait” dough. All you need to do is mix the ingredients, knead it, rest it for 10mins ( while it rests you can prep your toppings ) and bake it! This dough is soft and chewy. I have had good results with this dough for thin crusts pizzas as well. You will love this pizza if you want:
- An easy “not so complicated” quick homemade pizza.
- Deliciously flavored crust which goes well pretty much with any toppings.
- Barbecue chicken pizza turns out to surprisingly delicious with smoked Gouda, oregano, smoked paprika and caramelized peppers. Even my kid who is pretty choosy when it comes to food loves it.
I never would have topped barbecue sauce on any pizza. In fact, I was not really a barbecue sauce fan. Everything changed, when I was given a chicken bake by my friend Rosa V who is an avid cook and the goddess of experimenting, pushing boundaries in the kitchen. In her chicken bake, she combined barbecue sauce with jalapenos, sweet peppers, delicious cheese and spices. She took the sweet barbecue sauce to a whole new level. Ever since, I am a obsessed fan. Hence sweet, savory and smokey barbecue chicken pizza was born. While I am sure for purists who think there to be only two kinds of true pizzas – the marinara and the margherita , this pizza might be unacceptable. But in our kitchen this is considered to be “the bomb”!
Even the picky eater in my family was impressed by this pizza. Hope you have fun making this simple Barbecue Chicken Pizza! Please let me know what you think of this. If you would like to try a delicious dessert pizza, here is a beautiful recipe! Strawberry pizza with dark chocolate and pistachios!.
Important notes about barbecue chicken pizza:
- This is a quick pizza dough, this is not claiming to be an artisan pizza.
- The resulting dough after you mix the dry ingredients is slightly sticky. At this point, you need to use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour to knead it. It is very important to know that kneading for 5min is very necessary for a softer dough. After you knead it properly, the dough won’t be sticky and it will be very easy to spread on a pizza pan.
- For easier kneading and handling a sticky dough, oil your hands and use flour sparingly. Just enough to make the dough cooperate with you. Adding the whole amount of flour ( 1/4cup – 1/2cup) directly in one addition before kneading will result in a very dry pizza. Add flour in small steps and stop adding when the dough comes together. Right when the dough is softer and not very sticky.
- I have no patience whatsoever! But if you are patient enough, you can rise this dough for an hour after kneading and this will result in a crunchier, moist dough. After rising for an hour, punch it down and roll to form the pizza then top it.
Easy Homemade Barbeque Chicken Pizza
For the pizza crust:
- 2 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1 Cup Luke warm water.
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 2 1/4 Tsp Instant dry yeast(one packet).
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil (or any mild tasting oil).
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder(Or more if you like)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning or at least some oregano and basil for flavor.
- 1 - 1 1/2 Cups Caramalized thinly sliced peppers (See notes). I used yellow,red and orange peppers.
- 4-5 Tenderloins of chicken cooked and cubed (See below).
- 1 Cup Smoked Gouda cheese grated(or more if you like)
- 1/2-1 Cup Mozzarella grated (Do not use grated cheese bought from stores. This has an anticaking agent and will not melt properly. Use block of cheese for best results.)
- 1/2 - 1 Cup Barbecue sauce
- 2-3 Sprigs Chopped green oinions. And more for garnishing.
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Red onion sliced.
For the chicken
- 3 Tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 Tsp Garlic powder
- 2-3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt to taste.
Preheat your oven at 425F.
Caramelize peppers on medium high heat in olive oil. Add salt and any seasonings you like to it. I added smoked paprika and garlic to mine.
Season chicken with smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic, and salt. Cook the chicken on medium heat in a frying pan with two table spoons of oil, 4-5mins per side. When it is done, rest the meat for a few minutes for juicier tenderloins. Then cube the chicken for the pizza.
To make the crust
While the chicken and peppers are cooking, in a medium bowl, mix yeast and sugar. Do not add salt at this point.
Then pour the oil and warm water over the yeast mix. Leave it unstirred for a minute.
Combine all the dry ingredients and whisk. Then dumb all of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix it to form a sticky dough.
Transfer the dough to a floured table top and knead it for five minutes. Use flour and oil on your hands to manage the dough. After five minutes or so you will notice that the dough is softer and elastic.
Oil your pizza pan with coconut oil (easier to release your pizza after baking) and spread your dough in your preferred shape , thickness. Make sure to leave the edges thicker.
Poke holes on the pizza dough with a fork to avoid the dough bubbling up while baking. Leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes while you prep your toppings.
Topping the pizza
Brush barbecue sauce generously on the crust. Arrange caramelized peppers on the crust. Add chopped green onions. Next add chicken, Gouda cheese and finally mozzarella. Then arrange sliced onion. Adding onions last helped them cook and caramelize a bit and this was tasty! Crush generous amount of oregano between your fingers and sprinkle on the pizza. After you top the cheese, make sure to press the cheese gently on to the other toppings. This helps the cheese to soak in some of the moisture of other toppings. It avoids burning and helps to have perfectly melted cheese.
Bake the pizza for 15-16mins or until you have slightly golden brown edges. Take the pizza out and garnish it with some green onions or cilantro. Let it cool for couple of minutes.
Pig-out! 🙂 Enjoy your barbecue chicken pizza.
- Cooking time of this pizza is 15mins can be 20mins. But usually this pizza is done at 15mins. The telltale sign is a lightly brown edges.
- Brushing some water or oil on the crust will keep it from drying out.
- We used smoked Gouda but regular Gouda works perfect as well.